Sunday, August 23, 2009

Back to 'Zhongguo'

On August 25th 2009 I will set out again back to the land of ‘Zhongguo’. A country that continues to fascinate me with its epic culture and histories as well as it's modern struggle against a globalized world. I have decided to start up this blog because of recent Chinese censorship laws which have chosen to ban popular Western sites such as Facebook; my former and preferred method of cyber communication. This ban follows the CCP’s constriction on it's already tightly controlled media, which is believed to be in retaliation to recent protests by Uighur minority groups in Xinjiang Province. These protests have followed unrest among the Uighur minority of Xinjiang who feel that the CCP's "Big development of the Northwest" strategies of the 1990s has widened a gap between the Autonomous Regions Uighur minority and the Han Chinese who only began to settle in the region after the 1950’s. Since the riots have elevated to levels unseen in the past two decades, the CCP has tightened it's grip around free speech so to project it's own message which argues the Xinjiang unrest is a result of fundamental Islamic terrorist organizations; who pose a threat to the greater world! It’s because of all this that I will not be able to use Facebook for the next six months, not even to simply tell you about my day or even upload pictures of the beautiful region of China's South West province Yunnan, where I will be staying to complete my tertiary Chinese language studies. I feel sad to leave my home town, with so many beautiful friends and family behind me; but I look forward to the adventures that wait for me in this beautiful and ethnically diverse part of the world. Love to all xxx

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jordan, this seems fair interesting. It strikes me that if Facebook has been censored then surely Blogspot faces the same potential?
    I reckon your idea is interesting and look forward to more updates.
    Nick Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey nick thanks, yeah from what information I can gather it's all been pretty tightly censored the last few months but google and google applications should be accessible most of the time. but lets cross our fingers! i read somewhere that the CCP has said it will lift all these bans on Western sites once the riots calm down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good lucky Jordie! I remember having a caller on the radio program one night talking about how he had made it to Australia coming from the west of China, after as a teenager was pushed out in the 1950s by the Han Chinese. He was forced to flee as refugee, separated from his parents, and starting a life here in Australia. His story was so very interesting and he still has family over there. Before this call I had no idea of that part of greater Chinese history. Look forward to your insights!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jordan!!! Im so sorry i couldnt make it on Friday, my flight was on saturday next morning and i had so many things to do on fri nite before i left for Taipei.

    Im in Taipei right now, hope you're having fun in Yunnan

    ReplyDelete