Sunday, September 13, 2009

Instinct is the 6th sense

Instinct is the 6th sense, the most basic and yet fundamental of all animal intellect. Tonight I had come back from a night out with new friends, it had been a fortunate afternoon as I had found myself a well respecting job in the local university district teaching English. In good spirits I had walk back to my hotel feeling rather on top of the world, even running into some other friends in the lobby. They had asked me to come out with them but it was past eleven on a Sunday night and I felt tired so bid them all goodnight and continued to wait for the lift. As I stood I noticed that the Chinese man standing opposite me – also waiting – had the strangest of characteristics about him. I couldn’t quite pick it, it was not a harsh, blunt or confronting nature but as I surreptitiously gazed on at him I could see in his eyes the look of a man that had drunk well. Certainly he was not the only man in town who had that night, but this knowledge brought me no rest. The lift began to descent and I felt a hasty decision coming over me. Should I get in the lift with this man I would be alone for at least thirty seconds until the lift reached my floor. How much was possible in thirty seconds? Even if he were to drunkenly speak or grunt I would find it unpleasant but what more could be possible in a man that gave me this uneasy feeling. Say from the seventh floor he got out with me and attempted to drag me or force me to open my door with him there; as strange as these thoughts were I just couldn’t get the very idea out of my head. The lift door opened and just as the gentleman stumbled into the lift I felt my heels turn me and I pretended to walk in the other direction; it would be just as easy to wait for the lift to come back down. As the lift began to ascend and had reached at least the third floor I pushed the button again to wait and watched patiently to see which floor the man would get off at; level seven – my floor. I sigh of relief washed over my mind, perhaps the whole idea had just been crazy, but knowing we would have been just doors away from each other as we made our exit from the elevator I came to realize that the whole situation had not been too far at all from possible. Moral of the story; I think that humans have become somewhat detached from their basic instincts, sometimes thoughts or ideas come into our head and we can never seem to find a plausible reason for them but later we come to understand that there was a strange truth behind the peculiar emotion. I am not saying I was at all correct with my analysis of this man outside the lift, but being alone and female in this foreign country I think that it is essential that one does not pass by these moments. Travel tip # 1 – trust your instincts.

No comments:

Post a Comment